Wednesday 24 June 2009

The Rocker reviewed


I'm not bitter but I've seen better films. You've seen School of Rock, of course you have, who hasn't? If you enjoyed that film you will enjoy The Rocker. This film is a fun heart warming story (not unlike school of rock) however while i enjoyed this film it is not one I would watch more than a few times. The Rocker really is your average underdog film it may as well have followed a template, its simply a guy who gets kicked out of a band joins a new band and makes it big. It stars Rainn Wilson, Teddy Geiger, Josh Gad(who i like cause he's wearing a fedora in the picture to the right) and the oh-so-good-looking Emma stone.

I will not buy this film on DVD however I have recently purchased the soundtrack. This film is not better than school of rock, yes it is a bit of a rip-off and Rainn Wilson is no where near as funny as Jack Black but The Rocker has better sounding music. I like Jack Black as a musician ( Tenacious D being one of my Favorite bands) but he was out matched by Teddy Geiger. Teddy Geiger is an outstanding musician and "I'm not bitter" is a masterpiece. Normally I'm not too bothered withe the music of a film but this film would not have been even half as good without the music. The acting unfortunately was not so good Rainn Wilson failed to truly pull off the loser rocker stuck in the 80's and Teddy Geiger is a much better musician than actor. The strongest actor (or actress if you want to be technical) in this movie was the gorgeous Emma Stone, who was the only actor who pulled off a believable performance.

This film was very predictable and simple but it is worth watching at least once. The rocker is a fun movie, it doesn't have much effect on your life and it won't make you cry from laughing. It is however worth watching, the rocker is just a popcorn movie. I guarantee it will be years before you see a film as mediocre as The Rocker.


NB

I know this film came out ages ago but I get films from Lovefilm (the British version of Netflix) and when I get a film I will review it . Tomorrow's film Role models come back tomorrow for that review.


1 comment:

  1. There's nothing wrong with reviewing older films (I recently reviewed a DVD about a rock school (NOT the one you mentioned) at my other blog, you can see it here The Rocker sounds a little what I call "stupid-funny" which means I probably wouldn't like it.

    ReplyDelete