Monday 20 July 2009

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince reviewed




It may be the sixth in the series but its the best film yet. This film didn't star Clint Eastwood, there were no funky china men and the children did not speak in unison but it was bloody good fun. what really impressed me about Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was the films ability to combine a extremely dark presence at times with some of the funniest moments ever written, the only other time I've seen this done successfully was in The Dark Knight.

The film featured brilliant performances (as always) from Daniel Radcliff, Rupert Grint and the rather gorgeous Emma Watson. The film showed how Voldemort rose to be the greatest dark wizard of all time, the plan to destroy Voldermort, Dumbledore's death and the blooming relationships between Harry and Ginny as well as Ron and Hermione. The pure density of this story caused this film to be the longest Harry Potter film yet and while some may moan at the idea of sitting in the cinema for 150 minutes however I was delighted when I heard how long it would be. The reason I was delighted that Harry potter and the Half Blood prince was 150 minutes long because it means they got to keep more of the book's detail in the film which is good. To prove this I give you:

exhibit A: Harry Potter and the goblet of fire, a great book but a terrible film due to its lack of detail.

Exhibit B: Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix, a great book but a terrible film due to its lack of detail.

You get my point but due to Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince's extended length it was a rather enjoyable film and I did not spend the entire film wondering why they took such a part out of the film. I did however spend half of the film laughing until it became to hard to breath and the other half admiring the special effects. While the film had its flaws they weren't really that noticeable I was rather annoyed when Luna Lovegood found Harry on the train instead of Tonks but other than that there wasn't anything major missing.

I was rather disappointed with the score as I didn't notice it at all maybe the film was too good or perhaps Miz Watson distracted me but it wasn't noticeable all the time. A good film score needs to enhance the film by adding effect to the picture on screen (it needs to be noticeable and dramatic but not distract from the film) and Nicholas Hopper simply did not deliver this which is a shame because the Harry Potter score is normally quite good not epic (like anything by John Williams) but still makes me enjoy the film more.

But other than the lack of a good score I throughly enjoyed this film and maintain that it was the best Harry Potter film out so far. I can't wait for both parts of Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows which really needs to be the best two Harry Potter films ever made. And know I have to end this blog as I am really getting tired of typing "Harry Potter and the....." but I will leave you with the promise of Jackass the movie 2 being reviewed here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment